IG Course: Make your list of hashtags

Home Forums Instagram Online Course IG Course: Make your list of hashtags

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by dave rickerd dave rickerd 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Margot Madison
    Keymaster

The single best way to get more followers on Instagram is to use hashtags. A hashtag is a word or phrase (without spaces or punctuation) preceded by the “#”. It is used as a search tool on Instagram and other social media sites. It’s a way for you to find interesting content and it’s also a way for people to find YOU!

• If hashtags are a new concept, you might want to read this post.

• Instagram allows up to 30 hashtags and it’s my opinion that you use all 30.

ASSIGNMENT Part 1: First, read this post on 10 tips to find your hashtags.

ASSIGNMENT Part 2: Find hashtags for the following 4 categories. Keep this list on your phone or where it is easily accessed from your phone so you can copy and paste into your post captions.

YOUR GENRE HASHTAGS

These are the hashtags that someone would use as a general search. Consider the materials used in your image/product or what someone looking for your product would use. For example: gift, artwork, DIY, necklace, paint, songwriting, art, invitation, cartoon, mural, skirt, etc.

If you run out of ideas, take a look at similar products and see what hashtags are used there.

YOUR OWN CUSTOM HASHTAGS

One way to use hashtags is as a collector of posts. The opposite of choosing a really popular hashtag that everyone uses, custom hashtags work to your benefit because they are used less. For instance, if you use your business name as a hashtag (or something equally creative and unique), then any time someone looks up that hashtag they will likely see ONLY your posts. Let’s say that someone is interested in exploring your work. They could use your hashtag and see every awesome thing you posted and it’s easier than writing a web address.

ONE custom hashtag is good. Two at the most or if you run a special contest or something.

CURATED HASHTAGS

Curated hashtags are used by the influencers in your industry to search for specific content. For example, a popular wedding blog is always on the search for new content. They include a custom hashtag in their bio with the request for say, Bohemian wedding styles. If you were a wedding photographer (or a jewelry designer, or an invitation designer etc.) who had a post that you think would appeal to that specific audience, you would include that custom hashtag in your post. The editors run searches for their custom hashtag and if your post suits their style, they will re-post your image into their feed. Does that sound like cheating? It’s not, if they credit your account in the post. The BIG bonus for you is that your post just got shown to thousands more people who may follow you back.

Since you’ve already completed your Following assignment (right?) you have a starting list to check for the curated hashtags. Look in their bio or in their actual posts for the curated hashtag.

YOUR AUDIENCE HASHTAGS

Who would be interested in your products? Refer back to your “Find Your Audience” homework and think about who is looking for your work. For example, if you’re an artist, you might include hashtags like #gallery, #museum, #etsyartist, #commissionart #interiordecorator, #decorator, #corporateart, #architect etc.

If you run out of ideas on your own, spend some time looking at some of the popular accounts in your industry. They usually have a nice collection.

Karen Smith
    Participant

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>My genre hashtags (general):</span>

#passionpassport

#instatravel

#wanderlust

#ilovetravel

#takemethere

#ilovetravel

#beautifulitaly

#discoverumbria

#vacation

#italyvacation

#travelpics

#vacationrentals

#bellavita

#loveitaly

(14)

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>My genre hashtags (specific to photo)</span>:

#buonappetito

#umbrianadventures

#travelswithfriends

#girlstrip

#secondhoneymoon

#chillax

#girlstrip

#springinitaly

#summerinitaly

#fallinitaly

#pasta

#gelato

#italianroadtrip

#tuscanyroadtrip

(14, but I wouldn’t use many on a single post)

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Custom hashtags (If I should only use one, I would leaning toward using #bellabenano)</span>:

#roccadibenano

#bellabenano

#italianrentalvilla

#vrbo257105

#benano

#2017guests (I’ve already sent a note to our 2017 guests telling them to watch twitter and FB for posts with this hashtag — I don’t think it makes much sense for IG.)

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Curated hashtags – I struggled with these — maybe we can talk about this on a Monday morning.</span>

#travelbloggers

#italianvilla

dave rickerd
    dave rickerd
    Participant

IMPRESSIVE Karen! and you say you’re not creative. Whatever 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.